The Last Movie You Watched

• 54 Replies

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
    • The brutal of Jon E(vil)
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »
Mourning grave. South Korea. 9/10
 A young bloke whose sees ghosts has to confront a grudge.
 It has a really good and effective drama plot with elements of horror. The 'ghosts' are what you expect in a asian horror and there was a scene that reminded me The Wailing, another S.K. stunner. Everything came together nicely at the end. Can't fault it.
Villmark 2. (Wilderness 2) 2015. Norway. 7.5
 Five contract workers take on a job of tracking hazardous waste in an old sanatorium before demolishing.
 I haven't watched the first one which a group of people go to remote cabin. This time is a clean up crew in a abandonded hospital.
 The plot was...just really not there, but, ironicly, it established a creepy atmosphere early on and just slowly cranked it up. It used cameras set up to detect motion and noises/sounds repeatedly to create a real sense of dread.
Documenting Reality.comDo you make those videos entirely from scratch?!  If so, you, sir, are a fucking genius.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
 Wer. 2013 3/10
 A huge bloke is charged with murder.
 Interesting plot that failed get going, similar final act to the Nicholson, Spader film Wolf (1994). Hit the fast-forward button at the 37min mark and didn't stop till the end.
 The film can mostly be seen in the trailer, in fact, after just watching it again, this is a classic example of a 'preview' showing the whole fim.
 (Spoiler) Bloke shaving his head has final fight with werewolf, is bloke with glasses on, gets bit at start.
Ready player one. 2018. Garbage.
 Virtual reality with a load 'green screen'.
 The 'flatmate' decided we needed to "watch a movie together." I'd downloaded this for someone else. I lasted 40 mins and got bored, by 55 i was real angry about wasting my time, so i left the room. I flicked to Kubrick tribute on my laptop, lasted 2 seconds, couldn't be bothered. She came to see if i wanted to watch The Shinning part. She got a flat no.
Documenting Reality.comDo you make those videos entirely from scratch?!  If so, you, sir, are a fucking genius.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 04:42:52 AM »
Wristcutters. A love story. 2006. 8/10
 Written and directed by Goran Dukić.
 A black romantic comedy about suicide. Nice story with some funny moments, everything you'd expect in a rom-com.
 Probably wouldn't watch it again, but for a change of pace it was worth it.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
└ l'intÚrieur (Inside) [/b]2007. 10/10
 French home invasion.
 Watched this a few years ago and it was always in the back of my mind to see it again.
 It didn't disappoint, at all. A simple film, but loaded with suspense and violence.

The Church. 1989. Italy. 7/10
 Co produced/written by Dario Argento. Directed by a long time assistant of Argento.
 It as a 'B-grade' feel about it, but a solid story. The effects are well done, and the film in general looks like a decent amount of thought have been put in to how scenes are actually filmed.
I saw the devil. 9/10 South Korea.
 Cat and mouse with humans.
 I'v seen two of the directors previous films, The good, the bad, the weird. A tale of two sisters. The second is better but this was alot simpler plot wise and alot more brutal.
 Having seen a few of these 'revenge' movies now, it's interesting how little they tread on each other.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »
We are what we are. (Somos lo que hay) 2010. Mexico. 7/10
 A family of cannibals slowly go mad.
 The film is only 80 mins long and depicts a poor family sliding down at a slow pace due the loss of the father at the start. It is bleak and depressing to a degree, but each of the four main characters it set up differently. I saw it some years ago and enjoyed it, and i would rate it the same again.
 There was a american remake, i took a look at that trailer.
 Compared to the original.
 Garbage.
The doll master. South Korea. 2004.
 6.5/10
 A group of people are invited to a house and killed one by one.
 The storyline is easy to follow with a drama/horror mix that does get more layered. The 'twists/reveals' are mainly in the second half but tie together nicely, probably not worth a 2nd watch.
The Flu. 2013. South Korea. Didn't finish it.
 Infection rips thru a city, no zombies.
 It had the makings of a intense drama/disaster but after the first hour, and with a full second hour to go, it slowed right down and a heavy bureaucrat feel took over. I flicked thru some of the rest but it was dragging too much for me care. Long scenes of politicians and soliders arguing.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
De Palma. 2015 8/10
A doco with the director Brain De Palma talking by himself about the his career in film.
The film is basicly a conversation with De Palma intercut with the films he has made as he talks about them.
Interesting that he doesn't fit in with the 'Hollywood mold' even thou he is, as he says early on, the same era as Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese and Lucas. De Palma is lighthearted and explains his the way his movies are filmed and what happened as a result.

Bedevilled. 2010. South Korea. 9/10
 A slow burn film, that falls into the 'revenge' genre they do incredibly well.
 It all tied together, and the 2nd half was nice and bloody.
 An intense watch that left me happy and sad.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »
Euthanizer (Armomurhaaja). 2017 Finland. 7/10
 A strange black comedy/drama about mercy killing, an old bloke does pet killing along side vehicle repairs, the film evolves from there, the characters all have a shade of death about them, so any moments of humour are fleeting. It's basic in some of it's plot but ties up well at the end.
 Uncomfortably satisfying some it up for me.
 I got a copy off torrent, but it had french subs hardcoded, i still watched it with english over them and enjoyed it.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »
 Nekromatik. Germany. 1987. 7/10
A film with a interesting soundtrack, not a lot of dialouge, bad acting, and a notorious reputation.
People read about it, probably think one thing and then it's completly flipped if they watch it.
It has alot of dream scenes and whole parts where its just quiet or piano. I like the surreal factor of it and not having watched it for a few years i think its a solid film that makes think about what the hell is being presented.

Deadpool 2. 2/10
Rubbish.
Downloaded for a collegue at work, flicked thru the 2 hour run time is 30 mins and didn't think i really missed anything.
Some of the parts i watched were funny, but im glad i didn't sit down to try and suffer thru it.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
Nekromantik 2 Germany. 1991. 6/10
 Having read reviews of this a few years ago, i knew that it didn't have quite the 'impact' of the first one. It picks up where it left off, and has alot of similar traits as the first. Not much dialouge, interesting soundtrack, and a notorious reputation. Better acting.
 Just over 111 minutes compared to 75 for the first one. I got kinda bored by the 70min mark and flicked thru a couple of the longer scenes.
 Overall, it didn't fuck around at the start but soon slowed down, the ending was pretty unique but really a film that works if you have seen the first one and actually liked it like i did.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
Audition. Japan. 1999.
10/10
A superb drama/thriller about a man who does a fake audition for a movie and falls for a mystery woman.The last 30mins are when the horror kicks in, but it is restrained and respectful of the overall tone of the film. Well worth the reputation as a Asian classic.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »
The Outlaws. 2017. South Korea. 6/10
A 'based on...' crime bust in 2004. Complicated but a good crime drama, stars the 'dad-to-be' actor from Train to Busan as a tough cop.
After i'd lost track of some plot threads, I was still entertained by the two main characters to continue.
The fight scenes were well done.

Upgrade.   2/10
 Hit the F>F>. button and didn't let up.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 12:44:42 AM »
Eraserhead. 1977.
 8/10
 David Lynch is a director whose T.V./films iv largely ignored. Eraserhead iv watched twice now, fine piece of 'endurance' cinema. To try and think about the 'plot' of the movie is to remember what largely went over my head and served only to confuse me, i recognise elements of plot, but are just enjoying the ride with a strong coffee to stay awake.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 03:24:36 AM »
Caligula. 1979
 4/10
 Saw this years ago and thought it was alright. Then i read about this short doco, Mission Caligula. I heard lengthy interviews with the two main people, Alex and Kelly about the whole mess that was post production. I tried to rewatch it the other night and after 90 min was largely bored. It would be interesting to see a true cut of the film.
Mission Caligula.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 03:40:47 AM »
Nightmare of elm st. 1984.
 8/10
 Was doing some drawings and had this one in the background. Still good film.
Inferno. 1980
 3/10 (fell asleep)
 Dario Argento film. One of The Three Mothers trilogy. The 1st was Suspiria, i watched that last year and felt it didn't really live up to the hype.
 This one i fell asleep near the end of. It's not colourful as Sus, but has the Argento 'style' some scenes are really good, but it drags after the hour mark.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
Goodnight mommy. Austria. 20148/10
A creepy psychological thriller with a small cast and limited sets.Pegged for a remake, good luck with that. The film is quiet and subtle, there are clues dropped in through out but you would really have to pay attention to see it and pick what happens. Reminded me alot of A tale of two sisters. Similar idea but pegged back.I watched an 'ending explained' video that was helpful.Overall, pretty good film.