The Last Movie You Watched

• 80 Replies

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
    • The brutal of Jon E(vil)
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2019, 01:37:22 PM »
Force Maeure/Turist. 2014
9/10
A drama/comedy, thou there wasn't really much of the later, about a couple and there two children who witness an avalanche while in having lunch in a ski resort, he runs off with out them. The rest of the film goes into the breakdown of there relationship. as the husband struggles to accept that he couldn't 'protect' his family.
It's a good example of a 'What would you do?' situation. The film itself had little to no soundtrack and long scenes of dialouge,  the scenes were long and not edited every three seconds.
Sadly, there is a remake in the works.
Fucken hell.

Mortal engines. 2018
1/10
I downloaded this for a workmate, based on a young adult novel.
Pete Jackson and fellow writers did the script. I was drawing up a transfer for a print so i was only kinda paying attention to it. The story moved rather quickly and just seemed to power on regardless. The whole thing seemed very lightweight and coming from a Y.A. novel it really showed. I stopped it after an hour, flicked to end and didn't care.

S is for Stanley.
6/10
A nice doco about an Italian bloke who worked with Stanley Kubrick.
The doco doesn't go cover the films of Kubrick rather it follows a unassuming bloke who becomes a close personal friend and invaluable aid to Kubrick. There are other docos such as Kubrick. A life in pictures that go into the films with more interviews with other people.
This solely focused really on the one bloke and his story

Redcon-1
3/10
B-grade nonsense.
A film about a group of soliders sent in to a area to get a scientist.
I lasted 52 mins before the FF button was hit. There was alot going on to the films credit but it just didn't seem to work.
Documenting Reality.comDo you make those videos entirely from scratch?!  If so, you, sir, are a fucking genius.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
At Eternity's Gate. 2018.
8/10
Crazy old Vincent.
A 'bio pic' about Vincent Van Gogh starring William Dafoe. The camera is hand-held and very shaky but it works in with the performance of Dafoe. He is much older than Van Gogh but really does a good job presenting the artist as a driven, somes manic painter.
The colours of the film itself reflect his paintings and although it only captures the end of his life, it presents it a heartfelt way.
Documenting Reality.comDo you make those videos entirely from scratch?!  If so, you, sir, are a fucking genius.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
Alone. 2007. Thailand.
6/10
Siamese twins horror.
Like most asian films, it slowly layered up as the story went along. The 'jump scares' were set up with the rising volume of music which didn't help much. I was reaching for the remote by the one hour mark but I'm glad i didn't FF thru to the end because there was pretty good twist. South Korea still reigns supreme, Japan then Thailand.

We are the flesh. Mexico.
10/10
Having just watched the film, i can say i really have know idea what the fuck was going on, but i was totally taken in by it.
There are just three central characters, for the most part. A brother, sister, 'homeless' bloke.
I would have to watch/read an analysis to have any idea about what was actually going on it was that weird. But it took several taboo subjects, broke then up and force-fed them to the audience. It was more 'arthouse' film than a regular by the numbers and that in the end really made the film.
It fits in with the films from Mexico like Here comes the devil and We are what we are.
This one was more edgy it in a good fucked up way.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
Destroyer. 2018.
9/10
A slow burn crime drama involving a cop who was involved in a sting years earlier.
Nicole Kidman is good in the role as a gritty burned out cop. The first hour is slow and i began to wonder, but when the 2nd hour kicked in so did the movie. It wasn't high action but the plot started to make alot of sense. The film jumps back and forth in time but it makes sense.
A review i read compared to it The French Connection and a comment on a podcast said it was like a South Korean film. Both of which i would agree with.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
Clergy. 2018. Poland.
6/10
The film follows three priests and certain circumstances that they find themselves in. The trailer gives it a comedy kind of feel but that is only at the start when the are drinking. After that they don't interact with other. It has three different levels to it, each dealing which a different priest, one is doing alright, one has a pregnant mistress and the last is accused of child abuse. The tone of the movie depicts the church as very much looking after it self at the expense of the parish. It was just over two hours and maybe could have been cut a bit.
Overall it's good film, but pretty scathing of the church in general and the ways it manipulates the people, business and media.

Offline Jon Evil

• True gore artist.
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
The eyes of my mother. 2016.
10/10
A 76min black and white horror about a woman and her desire not to be alone.
Some of the best horrors are debut films, this is another example. Spoken in portuguese and english its a simple film with a limited cast that tells the story of a young girl/woman.
The composition of the scenes was thought out as to be disturbing without being stupidly gorey, the plot with the central character was sad but chilling. The B/W was a great touch as most of it was set at night.